Yes, after months, I've written another newsletter.
Hey... How are you? Everything good?...I'm staring to feel like the ex who pops up right when you were starting to move on. But, I really do plan on being better this time around. You deserve it :-)
Here's what's been happening the past few months:
1. KFC Gravy Cocktails - I found out about this a few months ago and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I get that "stocktails" are a trend. I get that KFC makes gravy. I don't know if I want KFC gravy in my cocktails. And yet, there is something so intriguing about it. (Intriguing enough that after months of not writing a newsletter this is what I decided to greet you with.) Don't be surprised if you see my attempt to recreate this pop up in an Instagram post.
2. Golden Eagle. I was stuck on Bon Ton last year. It's still one of my go to spots, but right now Golden Eagle has my heart. It's perfect in so many ways. Great cocktails, solid food, comfy couches (other seating available, but this is where you'll find me perched every time), an always pleasant staff, and moody but not creepy decor. Just perfect.
3. Atlanta Magazine - In January, I was listed in Atlanta Magazine as "Ones to Watch: The New Guard Shaping the Atlanta Food Scene". Talk about an honor. I'm still figuring out my life (I get the feeling this will be an ongoing process), but I know that I'm on the right path and there's so much peace that comes with that. The article isn't what told me, but it was a nice reminder.
4. Thai Pop Up at Studio No, 7 - Speaking of Atlanta Magazine, Parnass Savang, creator of Thai pop-up Talat Market was also in that same article. He's throwing a dinner in our space tomorrow with Korean cookbook author, Seung Hee Lee. Seung will be making Korean food with Thai ingredients and Parnass will be making Thai food with Korean ingredients. (I had to check this sentence three times to make sure I didn't mess it up.) Ok, so don't kill me, but it's sold out. But I'm telling you anyway because I have a feeling that it's going to be amazing and therefore will need to happen again and I want you to be ready for that moment. This is clearly why I need to write more often.
5. Strippers Are Turning to Bartending - Hmm...I thought long and hard about how to sum this up and I'm stuck, so please read the article and watch the video here. It's a suspenseful story that has me wondering if at some point strip clubs will have great cocktails. Because if I was a bartender at a strip club, as scantily clad as the rest, I'd want to set myself apart and in my head, the only way to do that would be by making something really good to drink. No...that's not how that works?
6. Amazon and late night dining options in Atlanta - The Philadelphia Inquirer ran an article with the headline, "If late-night food matters to Amazon, Philly is No. 7 on list". If that's the criteria, Atlanta loses. That was my initial thought and then I checked the list and Atlanta is actually #8. Which lets me know that the cities ranked 9-20 have no late night dining options at all or this list maker is counting all the strip clubs separately. (See why great cocktails in these fine dining establishments are starting to make sense...Still no?) Anyway, Atlanta's food scene is amazing and I stand by it proudly when compared to any city. We struggle with late night though.
7. Seth Godin - I've been on a solid motivational run lately. I'm reading about one book a week. I read my personal manifesto every day (this habit has changed my life). On Sunday, I watched an interview with Seth Godin which is 52 minutes of awesomeness. In addition to his books, he publishes a blog post every day and has done so for years...EVERY DAY. Are they all great, no? But he's disciplined enough to do it anyway. I think this was the kick that I needed to get out of my head about writing this newsletter. There isn't a week that has gone by that I haven't thought about sending something out. Inevitably, my excuses and procrastination win. After watching that interview though, I immediately started writing. And you know it worked because here's the final product. If you're stuck on something, check it out. It might give you the push you need.
Thanks for reading!
(I wasn't sure how to end this)