Weekly newsletter: Wendy's tweets (yes, the fast food chain) are better than yours
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it seems the flu is going around again. Last night my head felt like it was about to explode and I had that freaky combo of fever and chills. The worst thing is that this all happened very suddenly. I was fine and then I wasn't. Needless to say, I still feel pretty miserable as I write this, so please be patient with me.
Here's what's been happening:
1. I love whoever does Wendy's tweets. Last year they tweeted: @McDonalds So you’ll still use frozen beef in MOST of your burgers in ALL of your restaurants? Asking for a friend. (more here). I'm wondering if this diss mixtape isn't taking things too far though.
2. Ron Clark Academy. A few weeks ago (I believe it's weeks, it could very well be months), I went to the Ron Clark Academy to watch their annual musical. These kids write, produce, direct, choreograph, and perform this musical in one week's time....while going to class...and it was fantastic! (I never use the word fantastic) Did I mention that they're 10-13 years old? Any time I'm trying to get things done now, I remind myself that one week is plenty of time to create something and ship. I love the freedom and creativity of kids and I'm so happy that a place like Ron Clark is nourishing that. When did we lose that as adults?
3. Diet and depression. I think I've mentioned it before, but I suffered from depression when I was in college. It was one of the scariest times of my life. Getting over that hurdle continues to shape how I live today. I loved this article on how diet can help battle depression. I'm a huge believer in the power of food to heal and mental health is no different. Being sick right now also reminds me that I need to clean up my diet.
4. I met up with someone for sushi on Saturday. I hate sushi. When I mentioned that, they inquired why I let them pick a sushi restaurant then. The answer: I've had some of the best times around sushi. There was the time in LA when I was at a restaurant in the Hollywood hills with two of my best friends. We laughed so much that night that one of them ended up breaking a glass. We quickly shuffled out of there after that. He broke a lot of glasses that year now that I think about it. One of my favorite documentaries is also around sushi (I also enjoyed this one on sake). In general, I love Japanese culture, specifically the tradition and simplicity of it so I'll always be down for sushi. (I'm not really sure of the point of this story.)
5. David Banner was at the Martell space the other night and I was so intrigued by what he was saying that I told him I was going to follow him around all night and I did. I soaked up as much knowledge as I possibly could. He hooked me when he started talking about how he felt like he was finally manifesting the life that he always wanted. He dropped other gems about investing in your goals and remembering that money is a current - when we attempt to hoard it and operate from a space of lack, that's how we lose it.
6. Studio No. 7. I need some help. I'm working on creating some public events at the space for the fall. What would you guys like to see?
Until next time, protect your necks.